Thursday, November 1, 2012

Miley Vacation in Colombia

We had one week of vacation in October and I was lucky enough to have my family come visit. Mama Miley, dad and my older brother Brandon all made the trip down here to see what my life is like. Looking back on their time here I think it might be remembered as my favorite week of the year.
With mom and Brandon in Cartagena

I am truly blessed to have such a hard working father, loving mother and dependable older brother. But when I look back on the past four and a half years of my life, so little of that time was spent near my family. Sure, Christmas and Thanksgiving were always celebrated together, but after I finished high school I shipped myself off to Washington D.C. where I studied for three and a half years and then two weeks after "graduation" I moved here, to Colombia to teach English for a year.

Brandon with some of my girls, they're in love.
It has been a long time since I have lived close to my parents, brother, grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins. And to be honest, I miss them. I miss them a lot. Having my family come visit me here was really special. I was able to share with them everything that has been my life for the past ten months. They met my students, fellow volunteers, my co-workers, my boyfriend. They saw where I teach, where I live, the bus routes I take, the restaurants I like, and how I live my life day to day.

The day after they arrived we went to my school and they attended four classes of mine. They were able to meet all of my students, except for one course. By the end of the day my 200 students had completely wiped out my entire family and when we got back to the apartment after class, each one of them took a nap. Pure exhaustion. Welcome to my every day life ;)
Inside Andres Carne de Res in Bogotá

I got to bring my family to Andres Carne de Res, the most festive restaurant in the region, and they had a wonderful  time. We explored Usaquen market, which is always a successful day outing, and we even made it out to the coast for some sunshine. While in Cartagena we took a tour of the market, which is rarely ever frequented by locals. Think dead animals, small corridors, hot humid air, all smashed into a massive outdoor market with thousands of people in it. That would be Bazurto. There you can fulfill all of your shopping needs: cow eyes? They've got them! Armadillo, its there! Feet...of all kinds of animals...around every corner.

Cow eyeballs. Not sure how to prepare them...

A passageway in the market, Bazurto, in Cartagena!

Armadillo, not sure where that roams wild here...
Having them experience my life was special to me for many reasons though. Honestly, they did not have to come. My mom visited in April and I am coming home in a few months, but they still made the trip down here. It is one thing to describe my life here to my family, it is another thing for them to experience it. I enjoyed my time with them so much, but it passed by so quickly. I can't wait to be reunited with them again! And I really can't believe that is happening in only 31 days.
Beautiful Old City of Cartagena

Me and Papa on the wall of the Old City

Mama Miley with some of my favorite boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyper Smash